Whenever we ask couples what they want in their relationship, a better sex life always makes the top five list. After the honeymoon phase, it is really easy for sex to go on the back burner as the stressors of everyday life come into play.
It doesn’t have to!
Enhancing intimacy and pleasure in your relationship starts with learning what you, as an individual, enjoy, find arousing, and find pleasurable. This can be a bit overwhelming, but there is no need to jump into the deep end of the pool right away. We will discuss practical and easy tips to start you on the journey of intimate self-discovery.
Then, you’re ready to integrate more pleasure into your relationship. Since intimacy is so closely tied to vulnerability, it is vital to use the right language to express your feelings, needs, desires, and likes to your partner in a way that feels safe and non-critical. (The Communication Tip Sheet from episode 001 is a great resource for doing this the right way)! Setting a positive and supportive tone when discussing intimacy and pleasure turns this vulnerable experience into one of connection. With a small effort, you can reap huge rewards!
This week we are talking about how to bring more pleasure and intimacy - not just sex - into your relationship. Emotional and physical intimacy is at the core of what makes couples feel like couples. Intimacy is even more important than sex in creating feelings of closeness, connection, and security with our partners.
Short on time? Here's a list of today's topics and when to listen:
- What we are taught about sex - 0:50
- Why pleasure is important in every stage of your relationship - 2:37
- Have sex to bond, not procreate - 2:38
- Something special that you only do with your partner - 3:47
- What message does it send when pleasure breaks down? - 4:35
- Impasses to sharing intimacy - 7:18
- Need to know what feels good to you - 7:40
- Vulnerability in self exploration around pleasure - 9:26
- When sex isn't a ritual - 13:16
- Being vulnerable in talking with your partner - 17:51
- Tips - 19:04
- Self exploration - 19:05
- Share a sexy scene - 21:18
- Talking about turn ons - 22:50
- Talk about what you DO like, not what you don't - 25:13
- Give process-based compliments - 28:04
- Rituals of connection that focus on pleasure - 30:05
- Marina + Meredith's takeaways - 33:14