Communication is the number one issue identified by the couples we see as to why they're seeking therapy. When communication goes wrong in your relationship, you know it right away. Something just feels "off." The longer you stay in that zone, the worse things seem to feel.
You feel more distant from your partner. You can't talk about even the smallest issues. It feels like there is no common ground.
Good communication is the foundation to every strong relationship; however, we're not taught this ahead of time. When things go awry, most couples don't have concrete tools handy to make the necessary changes. We're here to help you with this today.
On this week's episode, we're talking about simple communication strategies that will make a big difference in your relationship. These small investments will reap BIG rewards. We know because not only have we used them with clients, but also in our own happy marriages.
Short on time? Here's a list of today's topics and when to listen:
- Communication within couples 0:21
- It's not what you say, it's how you say it 1:59
- Small changes, big outcomes 5:16
- How communication impacts your relationship 5:41
- Four qualities of communication to avoid 8:16
- Tips for healthy communication 14:35
- Be lovingly curious 14:45
- "I" statements 18:24
- Listen to your partner + validate their feelings 21:41
- Understanding does not equal agreement 22:15
- How to deal with flooding 25:33
- Meredith and Marina's takeaways 30:20